“Yoga allows you to rediscover a sense of wholeness in your life,where you do not feel like you are constantly trying to fit broken pieces together”.
In the past few years we have rediscovered the innumerable physical, psychological and spiritual benefits of yoga for adults. We know today that those who practice yoga consistently have a healthier body & mind to deal with the current pressures of our life.
Today our kids are also facing the same amount of anxiety and stress in their life. Hence, yoga for kids is all rage and spreading across the world with a lightening speed. Yoga is the best gift we can give to our younger generations. It supports them in classrooms, playground, home and relationships and brings out the best in them.
Lets point out a few awesome benefits of yoga:
- Flexibility and strength : Children are born flexible and yoga poses help to maintain this gift. Poses like warrior 1 & 2 help to strengthen the growing muscles. Strength and flexibility protect the body from severe injuries during sports.
- Increased concentration and cognitive abilities : The practice of Yogasanas in a flow requires attention, awareness and self control. A simple Vrikshasana (tree pose) is a prime example of the same.
- Present moment awareness : The philosophy of yoga lays tremendous emphasis on being in the present moment. Children can be guided to understand this important tool better with regular yoga practice.
- Enhanced self esteem : When children achieve small victories in performing yoga postures, it does wonders for their of confidence. The enhanced confidence levels give them strength to take on the challenges of life fearlessly.
- Relaxed body and mind : As a rule, all yoga classes end with a relaxation time in shavasana ( corpse pose). This ritual done alone or clubbed with a visual meditation relaxes their young minds and bodies. The visual meditation techniques work on a deeper level enhancing their creativity and imagination.
- Stress management skills : The regular practice of yoga teaches children how to deal with big emotions like anger in a constructive manner. Yoga provides a safe and nurturing environment where they feel loved and appreciated irrespective of their minor imperfections.
- Social Interaction skills : Partner yoga asanas and group asana formations encourage children to work together in a constructive manner. They realise the common thread of oneness we all have irrespective of our gender, outer appearance or religion.
- Enhanced body awareness : Body awareness is an invaluable tool that is attained with yoga asanas. There are balancing, strengthening, twisting and inversion postures which affect the body in various parts allowing one to channel the awareness to those particular areas and feelings that arise during the practice.
- Discipline and responsibility : Yoga is a journey and not a destination.When children practice yoga since a young age they are attuned to the importance of daily practice. This inculcates a sense of discipline and responsibility in them which also ripples into other areas of their day to day activities and relationships.. These qualities slowly become a part of their personality.
Are your children practicing yoga? What gifts has the practice bestowed on them? What questions do you have regarding children practicing yoga?
Yoga teacher (RYT 200) for Bodhi Yoga Institute, Hyderabad